Coast Controls Support
System Control Settings: See the Video or Download the PDF
Basic Manual for Displacement Guides: (Download the PDF)
Basic Manual for Steering Guides: (Download the PDF)
Air Cylinder Seals: If the web guiding system starts to respond slowly or goes to one direction and does not return, there is a chance that the piston seal is worn and needs to be replaced. This can cause "Blow-By" which means that air is blowing past the piston seal and effecting the actuators performance.
Checking the cylinder for Blow-By: Simply disconnect one of the actuator air lines from the Model 10A Servo Controller and place your thumb over the end of the hose. With the end of the hose plugged, attempt to move the guide assembly in both directions. It should move in one direction and not the other. If you are able to eventually move the guide to the other side, even at a slow pace, the piston seal is allowing air to pass and will need to be replaced.
Basic Repair Kit
- The basic repair kit is ideal for systems less than 10-Years old.
Complete Repair Kit
- The complete repair kit is ideal for older systems that show a lot of wear.
System Upgrade Kit
- The system upgrade kit is designed to bring older Coast systems up to present manufacturing standards. The ideal candidate for a system upgrade would be any system with obvious signs of oil contamination; old, damaged, or contaminated oil filtration components; plastic fittings, improper or missing components.
Changing the Sensor Side
- Changing the sensor side is easy! Once you have the sensor on the appropriate side of the guide system, simply reverse the hoses on the actuator. Once that is done, a little more work is needed to insure the Auto Center works correctly. Clicking the links below will direct you to a few YouTube videos to show you how it is done.
- Hunting can be caused by having the gain too high. With the gain set too high or opened too much, the system will start to hunt. This is one of the three interrelated settings on the servo controller and you will need a flat head screwdriver to make the gain adjustment. Turning the gain down is accomplished by turning the Needle Valve to the right to reduce the flow to the edge sensor. A little adjustment goes a long way so make minor adjustments until you have the system fine-tuned for your specific application. You must remember that whenever you make an adjustment to the needle valve or regulated air pressure, you must re-bias the controller and that is the knurled knob just above the needle valve. Turn the knob either to the right or the left to achieve balanced speed in both directions. Hint: Move a piece of material in and out of the sensor and turn the bias knob at the same time to verify the system move the same speed in both directions.
Model 10A Controller cleaning, inspection
- If the Model 10A Controller is contaminated and does not perform as it should, cleaning is simple. Click the link in the title to view a video on how to clean and inspect the controller to bring it back to like new condition.
Two-Stage filter element replacements
- Replacing the filter elements is easy. First you will need new elements and you can find there HERE. Once you have the elements, simply pull the tab and rotate the filter bowl to release the housing where you will now have access to the elements. The first element is the Cartridge and the second is the coalescing. Simply unscrew each and replace with new elements. Replace the outer housing bowl and you are done.
- New model filter packages have a pop-up indicator to alert when the elements have been saturated and need to be replaced.
Applying Rubber Cork Tape to Rollers
- Applying rubber cork tape to a roller is a tricky task, but with a little guidance and a couple of practice runs, you will be a pro in no time. The link in the title will take you to a YouTube video to show you how it is done.
- When removing old cork from a roller, it is best to machine it off by getting the insert under the tape and into the metal underneath. Once you have good clean surface, you are ready to apply a fresh layer of cork on your roller.
Oscillating a web into a winder to prevent band built up
- Utilizing a brushless gear motor, drive and linkage, you can oscillate your web a desired distance and speed manually to prevent band build up as you wind your material.
- To automate your oscillator, utilize a line speed signal to allow the drive to adjust the speed of the motor and maintain the amount of oscillation you need at all times.
In Brief - Open-Loop Tension Controls vs Closed Loop Tension Control (Linked to www.montalvo.com)
- When is it best to use simple open-loop control versus the more technically involved closed-loop tension control?
How much air does a Coast system require to operate?
The Two-Stage filter package requires a minimum 60 PSI to seat the filter bowls. After the filter bowls are seated, the precision regulator will reduce the air to a normal operating range of 5 to 8 PSI.
How much air does a Coast system consume?
Under normal operating conditions, normal usage is approximately 1.5 CFM.
Air is expensive! What is the utility cost to operate a Coast system?
Since a Coast system will consume only 1.5 CFM at 6 PSI it depends on the air compressors efficiency. For Example, at 95% efficiency and a $.08/KWH rate, usage is approximately $0.0235/hour!
Does Coast provide training and installation?
Coast technicians can provide onsite training and installation, but not necessary. Most systems require a few bolts to install and the training is as easy as 1-2-3 as there are only three (3) settings to achieve a perfect web for your application.
Question: Do I need to stock spare parts?
No. Coast systems are built to last, but if a part is needed, 99% of all components are on the shelf and can ship the same day.
How does a Coast system perform with Clear or Metalized film?
Perfect! Since only a small stream of air is used to detect the materials edge, it doesn’t know if the material is clear, opaque, dense or reflective.
How well does the system work in Hot, Humid and Dusty environments?
Flawlessly! The system takes in cool plant air and never vacuums the outside air. Therefore, the system is essentially self-cleaning.
What routine Maintenance is required?
None. The two-stage filter package relies on a pop-up indicator to let you know if the filter elements have been compromised which can cause irregular movement in the system.
What are the Electrical requirements?
None. The system is powered entirely by high pressure plant air, then regulated to a lower air pressure.
Does Coast Controls' web guiding systems have a EC Declaration of Conformity?
Yes! Coast Controls web guiding systems have a EC Declaration of Conformity with the following documents:
Directive: Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23/EC
Categorization under the Pressure Equipment Directive: SEP
Conformity Assessment Procedure according to Module: A
If you are having a problem with a Coast Control product, please call us at 941-355-7555 or submit a support ticket.